Monday, April 21, 2014

Identity

Recently I've been having thoughts about identity. What makes me who I am? What can I be identified as? How many layers of "self" are there to humans?

I've been doing quite a bit of creating--drawing, sewing, anything that flexes my creative muscles--without the need for thought of sharing it with others. I have been creating for myself, and I think that's why my work has improved greatly. I am no longer creating for other people. This is why I've taken a little leave of absence from most social media (besides Instagram, but even then I haven't been uploading too frequently).

It's almost sort of awkward trying to write down what I'm thinking on this blog! I'm not used to forming my thoughts in a semi-eloquent manner, haha.

But back to my original thought: identity. It's weird to think about how we use our outer shells as a way of advertising ourselves to the world. Seven billion other people are thinking just as you are, yet we all feel compelled to share our individual thoughts. I like to think about this because it makes me wonder about uniqueness and how we define ourselves, and how each one of us is an individual, we just have a vast number of individuals.

It also comforts me to think that 7 billion people are able to think about this, and contemplate all of the different pieces of life. It is amazing how many humans exist and what we're capable of.

Well anyway, on the thought of Identity I took a few photos a couple of days ago based around this idea of how we define ourselves. If you strip down the image of a person, and all that's left is a shell, can you still identify them?





I'm back permanently now, I promise. :*
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment